Blog Widget by LinkWithin

tutorial | Tea Stained Paper Doilies

Tuesday, December 6

There's something magical to me about the process of tea-staining.
More than likely it's just the fact that new objects suddenly appear vintage...
And it just so happens, anything shabby, vintage, or farmhouse-chic completely rocks my world!!

Take for instance these tea-stained paper doilies...
(The contrast between the original white doily and the three variety of tea-stained doilies is gorgeous!)
teastaineddoiliesVARiETY4728wm

I've cut small tea-stained doilies in half 
and used them as decorative wraps for shot glasses...
collage2

I've turned them into flowers...
(see the doily flower tutorial)
teastaineddoiliesflowers4766wm

And then used the flowers to adorn dessert tables...
photoholderflowers3254wm
teastaineddoiliesonwreath4558wm



And added some to Ella's hat to go with her 
"Vintage Good Witch" costume this year.
ellahalloween4651wm


If you are interested in learning all about the simple technique of tea staining...
keep reading!!


You'll need some white doilies and a large pot of tea.
I bought my doilies HERE
a fabulous kit containing both square and round varieties.
collage1


TEA STAINING PROCESS
1. Fill a large pot with water and place on stove.
2. Bring water to a boil, add your choice of 5 tea bags to the boiling water. (I used peppermint tea, which tends to be a bit lighter than normal tea. But you can use whatever tea you like). 
3. Turn off stove and let pot cool completely. (VERY IMPORTANT or your doilies will tear)
4. Remove the tea bags once you think you've achieved a deep enough stain for your taste.
5. Add 1-3 doilies at a time to the pot - depending on their size. (They will try to float on top so push them under the water with a pair of tongs to attain even staining).
6. Remove doilies to a drying/cooling rack when you've achieved the desired results.
• 5 minutes - very faint stain
• 20-30 minutes - a nice apparent aged stain
• 1 or more hours - a richer stain
• overnight - a deep stain

I have found my favorite soaking time seems to be between 30 minutes to an hour.
(Again, this is based on my selection of peppermint tea).

7.  Once the doilies have dried completely, it's time to get creative!!

I'll be back with the tutorial for the flowers and wreath later this week...

KEEPiNG iT REAL
I have been M.I.A. due to a house full of sickos...*wink*
Ella got sick last week with a cold/cough. (still has the cough)
She then gave it to Jay, Clara and Ema.
And then Ema woke up Sunday night/Monday morning with a stomach bug.
Plug your ears and close your eyes...
I've never seen so much vomit...
You can open your eyes and unplug your ears now.

Despite all of that we've managed to:
• get our Christmas tree up - fully decorated as of last night.
• attend the local Christmas Parade that both of my older girls participated in.
• watch/listen to the Christmas Choir program on Sunday evening that Clara has been preparing for. (sore throat and all).
• go to Jay's company Christmas party on Saturday evening

I've been the only one spared from the illnesses...
Thank you Airborne and Vitamin C!!
(please continue to get me through this very important weekend coming up)!!

And then there's the news I received yesterday...
A sweet friend of mine has been diagnosed with breast cancer.
She was actually Clara's 3rd grade teacher.
That's how we met and became friends.
I've photographed her beautiful family several times.
She's got two gorgeous girls and a sweet husband.
We've been out of touch for awhile due to our busy lives...
so the news that she was diagnosed at the end of October
and has already lost her hair due to chemo was quite devastating.
I'd love for you to send some prayers her way...

6 comments:

Lissa (Bellenza) said...

Thanks so much for the great tutorial...and all the vintage doily inspiration!

Joya said...

I have to say this is Outstanding work! You are the most creative person ever.... Thanks for the tutorials.

Baby Shower Invitations

Thaís said...

Thanks for the DIY. But what I really would like to say is that I truly hope your friend is doing fine and despite that this post was from last year, I've prayed for he.

Love,
Thaís.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Thaís...your prayers are sincerely appreciated and I'm touched by your comment. Thank you.

Jungie said...

Hello
I just wanted to thank you for the tutorial and to show you a bouquet I made for my wedding using your great idea.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/156072_3951918375942_170645397_n.jpg

the uncommon pearl said...

These are so,so sweet! Thanks for the inspiration! I have tried them and shared this tutorial with my readers.

https://theuncommonpearl.wordpress.com/2015/08/18/pin-it-tried-and-true-tuesday-21-tea-its-more-than-for-drinking/

I love the tea dyed doily flowers too. Do you have the instructions for those?

Thanks again

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan